Skip to main content

Weekend Throw Part 1

As threatened, I got started on the Warm and Wonderful throw from the Make in a Weekend booklet of textured lap throws that I landed on by rolling the dice for the next project's pattern. Whew! Say that ten times fast. I began by using one of the two indentical O'Go Colorama wheels in Salt and Pepper from my stash so I could begin and end it with the same gradient yarn.

This booklet is one I purchased from Amazon for $7.11 as part of my $10 or less series for the blog, so while I'm at it I'll review that, too. The pattern is one of ten in the booklet, which has throws made from bulky and super bulky yarn that you supposedly can work up in a weekend. All of the throws in the booklet are pretty basic, so I think it's suitable for a confident beginner who can read patterns.

This booklet, while a bit pricey, would make a nice gift along with the yarn and hook to make one of the projects. You could put this all in a basket for a crocheter friend, or just gift them the booklet and take them shopping for the yarn. Anyway, the Warm and Wonderful pattern was quite easy, and I got rolling on it right away.

Here's how much of the throw I got crocheted before the wheel ran out.

That's when I realized I probably won't use half of the yarn I pulled for the project; it's already 18" long and the throw is only 48" in length when complete (really, more like a wrap than a throw.) So I need some yarn for the center, and one more wheel.

I decided to use up the light gray Herschnerr's mill end yarn for the center until it reaches 30", and then complete the throw with the other O'Go wheel.

This is how much I crocheted in one night, which is about half the throw, so I should be able to finish it in a weekend as advertised. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Beach

Last week my guy and I went to walk Daytona Beach, which was mostly (and eerily) deserted. This is what our beaches used to look like when I was a kid. It was a beautiful day, cold and breezy but calm. It feels like 2026 is getting off to the right start.

Eight Plus Numbers

When I was looking up the retail on the small lot of yarn plus a tapestry kit I got a lot of surprises. This Red Heart Roll with It Sparkle skein in "Diamonds" was actually a cake that sells $10.99 on Yarnspirations. The lot included two Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo skeins, which retail for $8.99 each, and stuck in the center of the buff color I found a 5.5 mm crochet hook. This is a skein of 100% Icelandic wool, which can be really expensive. It's marked with a price tag of $7.00, and I found it selling for $8.00 online. The needlepoint kit is the biggest surprise of all. It makes a pillow, and hails from the UK, where it sells for £45.00 ($60.76 US). Since it's flamingos I definitely have to finish it if I can. Altogether my eight plus lot retails for $125.04; I paid $21.30 total for the lot with the buy-it-now option and one penny shipping. I indeed got a very nice bargain.

Halfway Month Blues

Last week I realized on the 14th that two weeks of 2026 flew right by me, and right now I'm writing during the third week. I wanted to be finished with more projects by now, but life and work have to come first. I think this might be when most crocheters start a new shiny project to boost their spirits. Not me. I kept working away at my first project for the year, and here's why: I don't like being surrounded by unfinished things. I also tend to get fatigued and abandon projects more easily if I've left them by the wayside to do something else. Finally, the payoff of the finished project gives me a much better spirit boost than messing around with several projects at the same time. I have a couple of strategies for sticking to working on one project at a time, which I can use to keep myself focused on reaching the finish line. Planning my next project is probably what I do most often by pulling the yarn from my stash, getting out the printed pattern for the...