Why don't you sell your crochet?
Back in May I discovered that other people are actually selling the crochet work I donate to thrift stores, so technically some of it is being sold. :)
I suppose the simplest answer is that I don't want to. I already "sell" my writing via the day job, and it's hard enough to part with that for profit. I need something just for me that I do for the pure joy of it. I am not condemning anyone who sells their crochet work, either. It's just not something that appeals to me.
How much of what you make do you gift to family and friends?
About 25%. I do not want to dump everything I make on the people I care about, so I donate about 70%. The remaining 5% I keep for myself.
Why do you thrift so much yarn?
New yarn is expensive, and I'm not inclined to spend hundreds every month on it. Also, I thrift nearly everything I buy now just out of principle. We throw away too much stuff. I want to recycle as much as I can while I'm here on the planet.
Why isn't crochet your only creative hobby?
I'm a restless person who works very fast at whatever I do. I need my other hobbies to keep me from boredom. :)
Why do you so often criticize how patterns are written? Do you consider yourself an expert?
That's two questions! Ha.
I have been crocheting for fifty plus years now, so yes, I do consider myself an amateur expert. I can make anything and have made most everything that it is possible to crochet, including a thread tablecloth and many different sorts of wearables. I can clone anything crocheted that I see, too. If I have a problem with a pattern, that's pretty telling.
I believe pattern makers should do their work properly and not rely on shorthand (or shortcuts) to create a design. If you're a good pattern maker, anyone should be able to make your pattern.
Why don't you publish for free some of your work online and share it with others?
I do explain how I make a few patternless projects on my blog, although I draw the line at writing patterns or explaining everything. Even if I put them out there for free, they would just get stolen and sold on Etsy anyway.
Why do you test yarn by making projects with it?
I'm a hands-on person, and I believe in giving new-to-me yarns a fair shake. Best way to figure out if I like a yarn is to work with it. Also, it's fun to evaluate a yarn and share that information on the blog; gives me something to talk shop about with other makers.
Why are your sources of inspiration so random?
I think I'm just a very open person who likes to live in the moment. The universe (in my opinion) keeps tossing things my way that catch my interest, like a granny stitch baby blanket that needed finishing, and led to me making my own, bigger version.
I am not inclined to copy what I see other makers do with their crochet. First of all, it's a bit squicky. Also, I'm not a person who follows trends. That's probably why I never made the six-day star blanket until I was given a blind pattern to make on a dare (and that one ended up being sold in an antique mall after I donated it!)
Why are your palettes and color choices so often unusual?
Are they? I guess I just like playing with color. Also, not a color trend follower, either! Ha.
What do you see in your future with your crochet?
That really depends on how long my arthritis allows me to keep doing it. I would like to incorporate more weaving into what I do with yarn, and possibly blend in some crochet work. Mostly I just want to have fun, enjoy what I do, and not worry about what anyone else thinks. Because in the end, crochet is a journey, just like any other creative art. I'm excited to see what's around the next corner.
Comments
Post a Comment