One thing I've noticed on YouTube lately is the growing number of channels devoted to crochet. That's always an indicator that a niche topic has become very popular (the same thing happened with Keto cooking, and diabetes management) because the more people view the content, the more money goes into the YouTuber's pocket. I'm not condeming the crochet YouTubers -- most are pretty neat -- I'm just wise to the reason there are so many fighting for attention these days.
Like me, crochet has been around a long time. My grandmother taught me how to crochet back in the 60's, when granny squares were becoming popular for the first time. Now they're back again, and so is crochet. The younger generations, the older, and everyone in between seem to be crocheting. Why?
I can't speak for other people, but I can tell you about why I'm crocheting. Step into the way back machine with me, and we'll start at the beginning.
I began crocheting because my grandmother thought it was a skill that a young lady needed to learn so she could make her own hats, sweaters and blankets. She also could never manage to teach my mother to crochet, so she was determined one of her grandchildren would.
I was the only grandchild she did teach (my older sister refused, and my younger was only a toddler.) I had no particular desire to crochet, I just never argued with my grandmother. I did what I had to in order to keep her from getting angry at me.
As a young person I crocheted on and off for years after she passed away, mostly as a way of remembrance and to maintain my connection with her. I also taught my younger sister to crochet when she grew old enough to understand. Really the only thing I had in common with my grandmother was the ability to crochet. Then for another sad reason I got into quilting, and that became my favorite way of handmaking.
Crochet always remained in my life in the periphery, but it wasn't until arthritis began eroding my finger joints in my forties that I went back to it steadily. It always had been my favorite way to loosen up my hands, and it helped.
It also helped me blow off aggravation and depression over my increasing limitations. Crochet is extremely meditative for me, mostly because I've done it for so long that I don't have to think about it. I can basically crochet in my sleep, and I had no problems with the arthritis because it's more wrist movement than anything, and my wrists are fine. Anyway, the less I was able to quilt, the more I crocheted.
Being able to finish things quickly also gave me an ego boost. I'd been slowed to a crawl with quilting because of my stiff fingers, but crocheting let me fly again.
I fly pretty fast now, too. All the pics in this post are throws and scarves that I've made over the last six months.
Will the day come when the arthritis moves into my wrists, and I won't be able to crochet any more? Probably. Until then, I will enjoy myself and make as many things as I want. That's the beauty of handmaking things.
Comments
Post a Comment