The next new-to-me yarn I'm going to test is Premier Cotton Sprout Worsted Multis in the rainbowish colorway Luau. This is a 100% cotton yarn, 3 oz./85 grams and 153 yards 140 meters. I paid $5.49 for the skein.
I pulled a hunk of yarn barf out while searching for the center pull, and had to work out a bit of a tangle to find the end.
I made a no-pattern drawstring pouch of single crochet stitches because the colorway is so vivid, and I wanted to see the dye changes. The yarn has a smooth hand, not especially soft but not as stiff as some other cotton yarns I've used (I have no problem crocheting with cotton except for some minor tension issues when I first start, which I've been working on via practice.) The yellow sections are more like neon chartreuse.
Bit of trivia: According to Wikipedia, chartreuse is a French herbal liqueur that has been made by Carthusian monks since 1737, reportedly according to instructions set out in a manuscript given to them by François Annibal d'Estrées in 1605. Carthusian monks, hmmm. Now I have to look them up. :)
The yarn did not split for me, although I noticed a tendency for the fibers to separate, so split haters beware. I found one factory knot that was so well-tied that I just trimmed the ends and let it be.
I did notice two more things about this yarn: it has very nice stitch definition, and it has a white core that does flash a bit here and there. If you want to see how cotton yarns are dyed, Mikey from The Crochet Crowd has a neat video here.
The finished pouch, and the small ball of yarn I had leftover. I liked this yarn well enough, especially the neat and tidy consistent results, which would work well for toys and purses. I'd consider using it again.
Comments
Post a Comment