As I've mentioned I'm not really a fan of the granny square, so when I went looking for a free pattern for my kit yarn throw I avoided all the patterns that went in that direction. I did want a block-style pattern, so I looked through those on Yarnspirations to see if any appealed to me.
This Circle Takes the Square Blanket pattern appealed to me because I love working in the round, and it looks neat. I'm just not sure if my tiny skeins will last long enough to make the blocks, and I'd probably have to do a smaller throw.
Bernat's Double Diamond Crochet Blanket pattern doesn't look like a granny square at all, although it follows basically the same kind of stitching (just no gaps or clusters.) I can also customize the size of these blocks.
I am on the fence about Bernat's Color Block Panels Crochet Blanket Pattern because I'm not sure how thick the blocks will turn out (it's originally made with Bernat Li'l Tots, which is a discontinued Aran weight yarn -- same weight as worsted), but it looks bulky in the pic. Maybe it's the cable stitching.
Anyway, I'll test each pattern by making one block using my kit yarn, and see if any of them works for my idea. Stay tuned to blog to see my results.
Image credit: all of the pics in this post came from the respective patterns on Yarnspirations.com.



Comments
Post a Comment