Skip to main content

Painterly

One of the new-to-me yarns I purchased from Premier in order to review it is Anti-Pilling Everyday Worsted Painterly. This is a 3 oz./85 gram skein with 153 yards/140 meters, so a bit on the smaller side for a worsted skein. I paid $5.49 for it.

It is listed as a #4 medium weight but its also on the skinnier side. On the label are the words "brush stroke print" so I think along with the line name they're going for an artistic vibe with this yarn. The colorway is Jam Session, and there are eight colorways available on Premier's web site.

I found the center pull with only a little yarn barf. Painterly is a very soft yarn with a very slight halo and faint sheen that is slightly reflective, and reminds me of Caron Simply Soft. I think it's a bit softer than that brand, though. As a one-night project I decided to make a no-pattern drawstring pouch with a variety of stitches.

The yarn has a very light, enjoyable hand and sings through the fingers with no snagging or pulling. It frogs fine, too. The color variation seems a bit chaotic, but I think that's deliberate, in order to give it a hand painted/artistic vibe.

I made the pouch with rows of single and double crochet, some spaced with chain stitches. I think this yarn looks best with dense single crochet stitches -- you lose the brush struck effect with double crochet or mesh stitches.

The finished pouch. I'm on the fence about the color variations and if they look artistic or just random. Leaning toward random, honestly. There are faint patches of what looks like dye migration here and there, and the dark red seemed to be the most frequent culprit in that department, but I didn't mind that. If you're looking for perfection, this is probably not the yarn for you.

I had this a small ball of yarn leftover from the project. If you do invest in this yarn I would advise making sure you buy enough for your project by determining the yardage you need and dividing it by 153 yards per skein, and perhaps adding one extra skein in case the yardage isn't consistent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Beach

Last week my guy and I went to walk Daytona Beach, which was mostly (and eerily) deserted. This is what our beaches used to look like when I was a kid. It was a beautiful day, cold and breezy but calm. It feels like 2026 is getting off to the right start.

Eight Plus Numbers

When I was looking up the retail on the small lot of yarn plus a tapestry kit I got a lot of surprises. This Red Heart Roll with It Sparkle skein in "Diamonds" was actually a cake that sells $10.99 on Yarnspirations. The lot included two Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo skeins, which retail for $8.99 each, and stuck in the center of the buff color I found a 5.5 mm crochet hook. This is a skein of 100% Icelandic wool, which can be really expensive. It's marked with a price tag of $7.00, and I found it selling for $8.00 online. The needlepoint kit is the biggest surprise of all. It makes a pillow, and hails from the UK, where it sells for £45.00 ($60.76 US). Since it's flamingos I definitely have to finish it if I can. Altogether my eight plus lot retails for $125.04; I paid $21.30 total for the lot with the buy-it-now option and one penny shipping. I indeed got a very nice bargain.

Halfway Month Blues

Last week I realized on the 14th that two weeks of 2026 flew right by me, and right now I'm writing during the third week. I wanted to be finished with more projects by now, but life and work have to come first. I think this might be when most crocheters start a new shiny project to boost their spirits. Not me. I kept working away at my first project for the year, and here's why: I don't like being surrounded by unfinished things. I also tend to get fatigued and abandon projects more easily if I've left them by the wayside to do something else. Finally, the payoff of the finished project gives me a much better spirit boost than messing around with several projects at the same time. I have a couple of strategies for sticking to working on one project at a time, which I can use to keep myself focused on reaching the finish line. Planning my next project is probably what I do most often by pulling the yarn from my stash, getting out the printed pattern for the...