I've decided to make some crocheted pumpkins for fall using thrifted yarn of various weights and new-to-me free patterns I find online. The first is Yarnspirations Three Little Pumpkins pattern. I would also like to make these one-skein projects, as pumpkins are a good way to use up oddball skeins. For this one I chose a skein of Loops & Threads Soft Classic acrylic in the color #8630, as I got three of those in one of my recently thrifted lots.
This yarn is basically the same as Red Heart Super Saver, just a bit thinner. It has very good stitch definition and it feels sturdy enough for a decor project. I did decide to use a 4.5 mm hook, but only because I don't own a 4.25 mm hook the pattern recommends.
The pattern is very beginner friendly; you make a panel of single and double crochet stitches, sew that into a cylinder, gather the bottom, stuff, and gather and sew the top. I passed on making the face elements because I want pumpkins, not Jack-o-lanterns. I used a tiny bit of vintage green Caron Simply Soft for the stem.
The finished pumpkin, with a small ball of leftover yarn. The simplicity of this pattern is its strongest appeal, and I will likely make it again if I can't find something I like better.
Comments
Post a Comment