For my first crochet project of September I wanted to choose it myself as a practice (possibly for real) blanket for the charity I want to donate to next month. For that reason I pulled the four skeins of Premier bargain acrylic (which I know is Puzzle) and one skein of thrifted darker Puzzle from my stash. This is a #5 bulky weight 100% acrylic yarn that is completely machine washable and dryable, and I've enjoyed all the projects I've made with it so far.
The pattern I decided on is Tradewinds Lap Blanket, a Premier design specifically for their Puzzle yarn. This blanket is made up of hexagons that showcase the color changing of the yarn, and for that reason I can make it as large as I want and use up all my skeins.
I found the center pull without any drama and went to work.
This is an intermediate skill pattern, and I don't recommend it for crocheters just starting out, as it's mostly dc2tog and dc3tog stitches, which can be confusing for beginners. If you're confident with making those kinds of stitches, and you can read an intermediate pattern (it is a bit confusing again for anyone just beginning) then it's a no-brainer.
The first hexagon turned out a bit smaller than I expected (they look gigantic in the pattern photo) but I liked the look a lot.
In one night I was able to make 5 hexagons; I think I can get one more out of the first skein I used. You can see how the four variegated colors in the Puzzle yarn make each one turn out a little different, and makes it look like you worked with four skeins instead of one. My guy thinks it looks like something either gender would like, even though it's blue and gray. It is not granny squares, which makes me happy. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in hospitals over the next two weeks so it's also a great take-along project.
Once I get the blanket finished I'll report back with a pic, but I think this one is going to be a breeze.
Comments
Post a Comment