Last week my guy and I went thrifting at two Goodwills. I was startled by the much higher prices on what yarn was available at the first near our home; there were some nice bagged assortments but they wanted $14.99 for three skeins. That's basically retail price for new. If I want to pay that much, I'll order it new from Amazon or buy it at WalMart.
I did find one lone bag of mostly superfine yarn for $7.99, which probably predated the price hike. Since Summer Nights has been discontinued, and I'm interested in working more with this yarn, I bought it. Summer Nights currently retails for about $8.00 per skein, and I don't need a lot of it, so for me this was a good deal.
We then moved on to Goodwill in Oxford, and the prices could not have been more different. They were so good, in fact, that I ended up buying three bags of yarn there.
The first had three partial skeins of variegated yarn and one brand new/unused cake of Mandala Ombre, all for $5.18. Mandala Ombre is currently $8.99 retail, so that was a very nice deal. I've also worked with this yarn in the past and like it a lot.
Four brand new skeins of Wool Ease Thick and Quick and one partial, all for $7.18. This bag alone is worth around $45.00. I definitely have enough yarn now to make my blanket -- so I have to stop collecting it! Ha. :)
Three unused skeins, two without labels, all for $3.18. The Red Heart Super Saver retails for $6.35 on Amazon. Also, that reusable mushroom bag at the beginning of the post is one I purchased at Goodwill Oxford (they don't give you shopping bags to reduce plastic waste.)
It is a little disheartening to see the high prices that some Goodwills are charging for yarn. I know thrifting is the only way some crocheters and knitters can afford to add to their stash -- at least until Goodwill hiked their prices up into the stratosphere. Since all this yarn is donated, cost-free, to Goodwill I think this is unfair, but I suppose making high profits matters more to some these days.
Comments
Post a Comment