Skip to main content

Not Quite a Weekend Project

While on vacation I wanted to work on an easy crochet project that I could pick up or put down whenever I wanted, so I picked the Glorious in Green pattern from the Make in a Weekend Textured Lap Throws booklet by Rita Weiss. I did not choose to make it in green yarn, but went with this colorful Premier Puzzle bulky yarn in the Marbles colorway, which reminds me of summer.

The finished size of this throw is 36" X 56", which to me is a wrap, but okay. There are four rows to start and then you repeat rows three and four for the rest of the project.

I crocheted the first four rows on night one, mainly to get a feel for the pattern. This one is easy to memorize.

I took the project with me on my birthday road trip, and this is how much I got done in the car (not quite half.)

I spent the next night working on it until I got tired and went to bed.

That night I got within 7" of finishing the throw. I think if I wasn't on vacation and setting it aside to spend time with the family I could have made it in two days.

The finished throw. I still think like the last one I made from this booklet that it's more like a large wrap.

Thoughts on the pattern: definitely simple enough for an advanced beginner; there is a bit of a challenge in finding the right spot for the shell stitches in the previous row of single crochets with a chain stitch between, as they are a little crowded together. I really like the look of this throw and wonder how it would work up in worsted weight.

It took three skeins of Premier Puzzle to make this project, and I had a small ball of yarn leftover. I have already worked with Premier Puzzle, but some ongoing thoughts: while bulky might never become my favorite weight of yarn I have to admit Premier has a nice line with Puzzle. The color changes are interesting (and kind of random), the hand is pleasant, and the two colorways I've worked with from this line are pretty.

I got one skein of Marbles in a mystery box and decided to invest in more to make a throw because I liked the colors. This is odd because they're not shades to which I typically gravitate. I like them even more now that I've worked them up in a project. Premier Puzzle is definitely worth a try if you want to step outside your comfort zone and work with bulky weight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Beach

Last week my guy and I went to walk Daytona Beach, which was mostly (and eerily) deserted. This is what our beaches used to look like when I was a kid. It was a beautiful day, cold and breezy but calm. It feels like 2026 is getting off to the right start.

Eight Plus Numbers

When I was looking up the retail on the small lot of yarn plus a tapestry kit I got a lot of surprises. This Red Heart Roll with It Sparkle skein in "Diamonds" was actually a cake that sells $10.99 on Yarnspirations. The lot included two Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo skeins, which retail for $8.99 each, and stuck in the center of the buff color I found a 5.5 mm crochet hook. This is a skein of 100% Icelandic wool, which can be really expensive. It's marked with a price tag of $7.00, and I found it selling for $8.00 online. The needlepoint kit is the biggest surprise of all. It makes a pillow, and hails from the UK, where it sells for £45.00 ($60.76 US). Since it's flamingos I definitely have to finish it if I can. Altogether my eight plus lot retails for $125.04; I paid $21.30 total for the lot with the buy-it-now option and one penny shipping. I indeed got a very nice bargain.

Halfway Month Blues

Last week I realized on the 14th that two weeks of 2026 flew right by me, and right now I'm writing during the third week. I wanted to be finished with more projects by now, but life and work have to come first. I think this might be when most crocheters start a new shiny project to boost their spirits. Not me. I kept working away at my first project for the year, and here's why: I don't like being surrounded by unfinished things. I also tend to get fatigued and abandon projects more easily if I've left them by the wayside to do something else. Finally, the payoff of the finished project gives me a much better spirit boost than messing around with several projects at the same time. I have a couple of strategies for sticking to working on one project at a time, which I can use to keep myself focused on reaching the finish line. Planning my next project is probably what I do most often by pulling the yarn from my stash, getting out the printed pattern for the...